woensdag 14 april 2021

How Brexit killed my Hobby Mojo

 Three weeks.

That is now how long it has been since I touched a brush to paint wargame figures.

Certainly, there is the fact of the "AHPC cool down" after three months of painting to deadlines.  There is the real life of work, Noshi breaking her knee and baby Thorin.  The still no-prospect of getting an actual game in with a real opponent... but those are not the reasons I feel for having the painting on a low level.



It is Brexit.  The regulations make it incredibly expensive to buy from the UK, taxes and fares at times even topping 109% of an order's value.  And while I looked around for EU alternatives, you get the big brands, without the big sales and discounts.

But for the whismical "oooooh shiney" stuff, the market is now closed unless you risk paying an arm, a leg and one of your kindey's on them.  And we only have 2 of each.
 
This has been a real killer for my gaming vibe to be honest, making me look towards online videogames again, more then before, for the social aspect and the thrill of the hunt for victory.  Instead of studying rulebooks and painting "yet another game we will end up never playing" it's scouring YouTube for reviews if FTP games are worth pouring hours in, build GunPla and work on "normal" paintings.  Things that don't need opponents or shopping sprees as it where.
 

 
Will this turn around?  Probably, when all vaccinations are done and one can go see friends again and kindle the fire, but it remains a fact it's a heap of misery.  For example, my MtO of Lord of the Rings figures with Games Workshop was shipped the 3rd of february, but only arrived in my local store the 2nd of april.  That kind of waits are longer then even the pre-internet days, and it doesn`t work wonders as such on motivation.  
 

 
Solo games keep me from going totally apathic for the hobby, but I admit even there I have moments of "bleugh" when I need to prepare something for the next game, just like I can`t find the juice atm to fix my printer (I need to replace the extruder assembly) because I can`t find the joy of printing and painting terrain for games that might take place whenever who knows.
 

 
So yes, at the moment the hobby is a bit in catatonic state... and I can`t say when it will go crazy again.  Maybe I should motivate myself a bit again by at least painting up the stuff I am planning to sell, that might at least clear the closets a bit to put the GunPla's in...
 

 



5 opmerkingen:

  1. Brexit? I still find it hard to believe that as a country, we voted for it?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Had you jab yet Ray? If so I bet you are glad you are not in the shoddy EU with their woeful rollout.
      Looks like we are going to get good trade deals with New Zealand and Australia soon. These will add to a growing portfolio of such.
      The EU sets the tariffs which makes imports into the block expensive not non EU suppliers. I see a lot of remainders are have now changed their mind after seeing how the EU does not work.

      Verwijderen
    2. Absolutely untrue Simon.
      The main problem is the £85.000 threshold for smaller British SME's which doesn't require them to have a VAT or EORI number. That was always an unfair advantage compared to EU SME's but now it is coming to haunt them. As a result the UK SME's can't deduct British VAT so when the conversion to EU VAT happens EU customers are hit twice.
      Now seen the already staggering EU/UK trade deficit the drying up of EU orders is much worse for the UK.
      Tariffs? There are no tariffs at all!

      On top of what I just described it's the additional admin that is strangling UK trade.
      Groupage is a nightmare because if just one of the parcels isn't fully documented the entire load gets held up or even returned.

      As for vaccinations. yes the EU started a month later but kept to the original prescription for dosages.'21 to 321 days between doses. So by the end on next month the EU's percentage for FULLY vaccinated people will surpass that of the UK. Talking about shoddy...

      Verwijderen
    3. Yes Simon, I have had my jab, that is the only thing Boris and his pals gave done right over the last couple of years.
      I work for a brewery, it was oart of my job rmto export beer to countries in the EU. Like Willie said above, exporting now is unbelievable difficult for us in the UK and to our customers in Europe, so far this year, we have calculated a loss of at least £30k due to the customers not buying our products, now of course some of this is down to covid, but will this continue after covid? Yes it will. Obviously you're a Tory lover? Who can't see his arse from his elbow!

      Verwijderen
  2. Actually I am not a Tory. I am a realist. The EU is not the only trading block in the world. Brexit opens up trade possibilities that are becoming realities. The truth is the EU trade regulations prohibited trade outside of the Fourth Reich, sorry EU.
    As for the EU trade deficit, its The combined effects of COVID and suddenly other markets are opening up. I would expect your brewery will soon be getting orders from other areas of the world.
    The EU is not our friend, it never has been. It is rapidly falling apart. As for the extra paperwork, how do you think exports to the rest of the world happen. How do you think we did it in the old days when we exported to the EU being a member? The EU deficit exporting to us is much higher, why? We can now buy from elsewhere, which will escalate as more trade deals come.
    I am fed up with remoaner nonsense which is increasingly being proven as I said nonsense. As for SME’s just look at the EU’s five hundred page document just to start a business. UK companies can easily get VAT and EORI registered.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen