donderdag 18 oktober 2018

Azincourt - Bernard Cornwell

Another one of Mr Cornwell's historical set novels, Azincourt takes us back to the famous battle between english longbowmen and french knights.

And as such, I allowed myself to be indulged in the settings of a period I don`t actually ever gamed in... would it bring me to temptation to paint yet another period?

Plot

Agincourt is one of the epic battles of history.  Fought by two badly matched armies in atrocious conditions, it resulted in an extraordinary victory, a triumph of the common man over the aristocrat, which has been celebrated ever since.

Bernard Cornwell's Azincourt, the first novel to have been written about this battle for a hundred years, makes you feel that you are one of those longbowmen in the army of Henry V.  His archer is Nicholas Hook.  A man frequently in trouble back home, he finds his true place in the company of archers.
This is what it must have been like, standing in the mud on the field of Agincourt, facing an overwhelming enemy, waiting for the inevitable destruction.

What I liked about this

* the build up to the battle.  The way a novel describes it is always far more captivating then some "dry" historical write up after all

What I didn`t like about it

* not much actually.  I`m not saying it's a prize winning book, but there wasn't anything about it either that stopped me from reading

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten