maandag 15 juni 2020

De Bellis Antiquitatis 3.0

Written by Phil Barker and Sue - Laflin Barker, DBA has been around in the hobby for as long as I can remember... and I`m at year 25 now since coming into contact with "historics"...

And version 3.0 is one big fat baby, with a TON of army lists and all for in essence rather easy to learn rules.


While you don`t need much, as every army is consisting of 12 elements, I recently decided to finally go for it and start my 6mm ancients by building a force for DBA, picking list II/52, the Dacians, as the army of choice.  No idea why further then some very old wargame magazine where I remembered the look of the Falx warriors and really liked that.

The rules themselves only take about 20 pages, and all a player needs for the game is a force, a single d6, and a ruler that uses BW (Base Width) as sizes.  And for 15mm and smaller, that is 40mm, usually 20 deep for most infantry units, or as we know those at the club as a "warmaster base".  Every type of unit comes with base depth for larger and smaller scales in a handy diagram, as well as the number of models to go on it (double them for 6mm, but as I`ll be using Baccus, I`ll probably end up counting a strip as a 15mm model).

The rules as such cover all the aspects a game needs, like movement, shooting, combat, and combat results, and how games are won and lost, as well as detailed rules for flanking, recoiling... the usual.

But then we come to the bread and butter of the rulebook, the army lists.  And there are HUNDREDS of them, divided into 4 sections: The Chariot Period, The Classical Period, The Early Medieval Period and the High Medieval Period.  For example, my Dacians are numbered II/52, meaning they are the 52nd army list in the second section of the book...

Rounding out the book are some indexes, geographic and alphabetic for the armies, as well as for the rules, so it is a truly great tome to have, and once my force is done I can`t wait to try and get a game in of it!

Now to look for some printable terrain to lively up my generals base and the camp...

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten