maandag 23 oktober 2023

Warhammer Underworlds Casual Meet-Up October 2023

 So, apart from the few home games during Covid I played with Noshi, this is the first real wargame I played again since 2020.



And the irony being that happened to be Underworlds as well, back then a tournament I attended at The Playground.

That tournament (and by extension the only one I ever played), I met a bloke called Peter, and he has been doing his best the past year to keep the community in Antwerp intrested in the game.  Now, with real life settled down at least a little, I finally managed to attend, and so off I went to The Outpost (yes, that gaming place where i go usually to play some Magic the Gathering).

Okay, so season 3 was just out that last time, and I`m attending with Morgwaith's Blade-coven and her standard Rivals format deck.  I never really played her against real opponents, but the Rivals format for me is ideal for the very occassional times I can play.  No deck build tinkering, just straight out of the box, and tonight I wanted to first and foremost get up to speed with the things that changed in the game.

The only thing I made sure with the current new rulings and all was that I took along "legal" boards, though I have been reading about Stagger hexes, plunder tokens, and such, something that wasn`t around in my days.  So expecting losses all around for tonight as I had to re-learn the game, let's see how the game went...
 

 
We where with 5 at the event, with Peter and Wouter I met at the said tournament above, as well as Philip and Vincent.  I sat down for a freshen up game against Philip, who brought with him the The Headman's Curse warband.
 
 
We placed the boards and deployed, and off we went for what would turn out a very bloody (well, as far as ghosts can bleed) affair...
 


 

The first turn saw me looking at a 4-8 deficit, and it had been a very heavy smashing affair, with two of my ladies, Lethyr and Khamyss, taken down versus his Bearer of the Block. 




 


However, the second turn saw a change of fortune, and while Kyrae was taken down, resulting in the return of the Bearer of the Block, Morgwaeth, standing on an objective, began to be very powered up and wreaking havoc.  In a three activation duel, she took down the very scary Wielder of the Blade to a single wound, and surviving herself, putting at the end of the round the score at 8-10.



Philip got the final turn and his Wielder of the Blade of course attacked, but Morgwaeth managed to dodge and take the big guy down.  In her next activation, she also dispatched the Bearer of the Block (again) before, after dodging no less then 4 ranged attacks (an upgrade caused him to be able to fire twice per attack) due to her flashing her assets at the Scriptor of the Sentence before being taken down by the fifth one.




Kyrssa managed to take of the Sharpener of the Blade in the final activation still, denying Philip a heap of glory, like I lost out on some points due to Morgwaith's demise, but the final score came down to 11-13 for the The Headman's Curse, with only Kyrssa and The Scriptor of the Sentence left on the board...

So that was a very fun, but also very intense battle.  Surely, the ladies are indeed a very decent glass cannon, as I managed to dodge above average or it would have been a whole different story, but a tooled up Morgwaith is something not to be scoffed.  At her final attacks, she was inspired, rolling three attack dice when on an objective, with one dice re-roll, a chance for extra attacks in the push back phase and exploding when she is taken out... Not bad for a frail little woman.





The other games being played that evening was a three way battle between Vincent's Exiled Dead, Peter's Grymwatch and Wouter's Domitan's Stormcoven.


And as a final game Peter now piloting the Domitan's Stormcoven against Philip's Blackpowder Buccaneers.

So this was a good evening out, and glad to be able to be play again after all those years of staring at figures and not fielding them.I will definitly be joining them again at their weekly meetings, albeit not all the time, as well as see that I can attend the tournament they are planning on a saturday in november...


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten