maandag 6 februari 2012

Decisions decisions, I`m surrounded by decisions...



Okay, so this is a tough one. I have in essence five hobbies that flow into one, but more and more it seems I have to make decisions of which one to put to the front, and which ones that will suffer the fate of being on the backburner untill a time I reschuffle and rotate them.

We all have those, and the biggest issues are of course that bitch of a thing called `real life issues` and `budgetting`. A hobby costs money, no matter how your budget is made up, and how it is for each person...

So past saturday I had a stare around in the Man Cave and thought about planning a way to reorganise and shuffle around some stuff to make it less `cave` and more `man`. And that`s when I came to this conclusion...



If I look at it objectively, I would say my `geekiness` consists mainly of five things.


1. Wargames, the Miniature kind.
I have nearly 20 years of `experience` in this, I am a member of a nice club that provides me with my semi-weekly `shot` on average, BUT I also have more models still to paint then I can ever hope to achieve. On top of that, I`ve got a `little` hole in my hand, resulting in more and more models adding to that pile week in week out...
Being objective, this means I would really have to cut drastically into them, and reduce the whole cabinet to just two or three `ranges` to be fine. IF I decide to do this, I guess it would result down to three armies, namely my beloved Chaos Dwarfs, the Cathay unofficial army I`m building `cause I like the whole Five Rings and the likes settings, and my Union army. Fill that out with some cool stuff like the Gundams and Heroclix models and the occasional `wauw` model, and I should be settled.
I am probably going to do the Leagues this year for painting stuff, but no idea where I`ll be going after that with the hobby`s `intesity`. Time will tell and I will have to think long and hard about this one...

2. Magic, the Gathering. Yes, I really am back into this. Not for the competitiveness of it, but so far I have met a nice bunch of players, and like the crowd at The Outpost (a cyber cafe / gaming store in Antwerp) and at Sven`s centre Ojé. It`s a different kind of people then the ones at a miniature club, can`t really put my finger on it, but they are a tat like me in mindset outside the hobby. The other benefit of Magic is of course as I said last week, it takes very few storage space... Now I keep looking for a saint Seiya game mat to play cards on...

3. Playstation 3. Another drug, and with Saint Seiya at the short horizon, this will get bumped soonish. However, this still leaves me with a few dozen games I probably never will come around to play, let alone finish...



4. MMO`s. I love playing these, and after years of World of Warcraft, which just got to simple for me with the recent patches (it was, for me, at the height of it`s cunning with the Northrend expansion, and slid downwards after that. Subscription numbers seem to agree with me...). I loved Guild Wars and await the second edition with eagerness, but I also like Star trek Online. Being a trekkie and all, I restarted playing (I`m a life-longer anyway) it recently. Now that it is Free To Play, it will attract new people and maybe, just maybe I can get some club friends to join in as well to travel the spacelanes.

5. Geekiness.
Yeah, you know, the traditional things of a gamer. Comic books, manga`s, scifi videos, books etc etc. No way in hell I`m ever going to dump those, but I really should shuffle some of them along in order to bring about the changes in interior... and I got this brand spanking new subwoofer powered Hercules soundsystem with 4 140watt boxes that I still need to be able to place somewhere decently instead of the patch up makeshift construction currently sporting them.


Bottom line is, in arpil I have two weeks off from work, so by then I`m really going to have to cut some ribbons and prepare storage boxes to put some of it all away. No matter what, this is going to hurt, if not alone for my back for all the weight that has to be shuffled along...

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten