maandag 20 februari 2012

Of the People, By the People and For the People

Yesterday, someone asked me on a friendly wargaming forum that I frequent just what it was that attracts me to wargaming and painting the American Civil War. Considering I `don`t really like` painting rank upon rank of monotone uniformed models, yet for some reason I manage without strubbling to do just that for all those blue coated models in my cabinet.

Well, at first I thought of a heap of possibilities, like the old comics of `De Blauwbloezen`, the old Revell 1/72 Union infantry models I played with in a sandbox when 6 or so (though admitted, it was because I found the blue back easily in the sand), that documentary I once saw on Hampton Roads of which a certain line still rings in my head like yesterday ("and then suddenly a strange ship steamed into the bay, low profiled with a single, large turret mounted midships, she was the USS Monitor"). I still haven`t found that documentary again, I *think* it was the Seahunters, but I cannot find anything about a naval documentary of Monitor though.

But no, through to be told, even as a european, I must honestly say it was one man and 272 words that made the clique for me...



Ever since age 12 when I first had to study them, and their implications on modern day democracy at school that they lingered around.

So there you have it, the solemn reason why I play the Union and love reading and watching material on the conflict... even though Waterloo was literally in my back garden.

For completeness sake, here are the other references for those not knowing what I meant:



2 opmerkingen:

  1. I've never read that comic, it looks interesting. Was that written by Herge?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. No, it was an original french one by Salverius

    http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Blauwbloezen

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen