maandag 13 april 2020

My first Dungeon Tiles: new paint test

Hey all!

As you might know by now following this blog, I`m going to be running a DnD 5E campaign at the local club once the whole Covid-19 pandemic is over.

But, as I`m at home for the duration, this means it also gives me plenty of time to prepare, and one of the things I wanted to definitly include, is dungeon tiles.  Now, I already have a couple of Printable Scenery ones in my maps, but for the first try outs on printing and painting I went for some OpenForge (the ones from Open Lock creator Devon Jones, and are all freely available on Thingiverse) Dungeon Stone floors to experiment on.

But even though they print well after some settings tinkering to save on time and filament, I was looking at a serious bill if I wanted to paint them all over the coming weeks, as I`m about to print initially about 100 of them.

Accidentally, one of the flemish cosplay people I follow on Instagram, showed off the Amsterdam range of Acryllic paints, sold by a storechain in Belgium and the Netherlands called Pipoos, and who still run the webshop in these troubling times.  So I made a 'trial order' or a tube of black and a tube of neutral grey for the base colours of the tiles, and two days later they where in the mailbox.

Now, considering a dropper bottle of Vallejo Game Color Black costs me 2.60 euro a bottle of 17ml, and this costs me 3.99 euro for a tube of 120ml, it looked like worth the risk.  If it didn`t work, baby Thorin would already had his first paint tubes hehehe.


The paint is a bit "gooeyer" then wargame paints as it's made for canvas painting. I can imagine it doesn't lend to painting miniatures, but it covers like no other.  A single black layer is sufficient on the PLA of the prints.


I painted over it with a liberally applied coat of the neutral grey afterwards, and once dry it is the same color as Cold Grey by Vallejo.


The final touch for the tile was a wash using Army Painter's Strong Tone, my go to thingy to cover terrain in to bring it a bit more alive.  usually I drybrush afterwards, but for these tiles, who can look dirty and dangerous, I chose not to.

And this is the result:


I`m pretty happy with how it turned out, and this will mean that not only I can churn through a lot of tiles once painting starts, but that I can also draft Noshi to lend a hand in painting them all up.


So yeap, a great find I must say, and once the stores open again (I have a Pipoos in the mall 5 minutes away from here) I`ll be grabbing quite a few of the black, grey and brown tubes for the purpose of "tiling"...

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten