woensdag 1 januari 2014

The 25 Platinums

Okay, so thanks to the Playstation Challenge, I pulled up my amount of platinums from 3 to 25, and that being kind of a milestone, let's look back and see what I think of each one.



Did I like them?  Do I recommend them?  Let's start first by saying what kind of games I like to play:
* J-RPGs: the typical ones, like Ni No Kuni, the Tales series, etc.  Unfortunatly, they are also very grind and time intensive clocking on average 200+ game hours, so it's doubtful I'll ever actually platinum one.
* Musou games: games where you fight against hordes of opponents with a mighty hero, and then some boss fights. 
* LEGO games.  Yes, i love them, not only as an AFOL, but they are quite funny, usually following the stories of the franchises they are based on with a twist and a lot of tongue in cheek humour. 

What I don't like?  First person shooters, adventure games like Assassin's Creed, and beat em ups, those last ones because I just lack the focus to hone my reflexes towards button bashes.

But let's get this show on the road, and here are all 25 platinums, when I got them, and how long I took over them.

1. Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 
December 24th 2011 - no timestamp - PS3



A musou game and the very first platinum I ever scored, about a year after buying a PS3.  The franchise has always been one of my favorites, and the game style is something I loved.  It also has a pretty good 'cross over universe' storyline.
The funny thing is that I uploaded the trophy on the count of chrismas night going over on day and flipped the network, resulting in trophies having taken 69 years to complete and all...

2. Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle
April 25th 2012 - 3 weeks, 4 days - PS3


What can be wrong here.  It is Saint Seiya, it was a musou game, and I took 2 weeks of time off from work to work towards that platinum.  I loved the game, fair and square, and even if it was rubbish, I would still love it.

3. LEGO Pirates of the Carribean the Video Game
December 16th 2012 - 2 months, 2 weeks -PS3


Not only the first, but for me still the most enjoyable of the LEGO games out there.  The humor of the Pirates franchise and the humor of the Lego games just works together.  If you want to try a Lego game, grab this one or the Lord of the Rings, and you won't regret it!

4. LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
January 6th 2013 - 2 months, 1 week - PS3


Lego games have a certain rhytm to them for trophy hunters.  At first you get a lot of them as you complete the storyline missions, then it falls down to a dribble with the occassional trophy as you grind through the levels again to unlock mini-kits and characters, only to ping as hell near the end as you get to 100%, collect all kits, all characters, etc etc.
Now, I never watched the Potter movies bar the first one, so my knowledge of the franchise is limited to what the games depict, and it is more or less accurate.

5. Kung Fu Panda 2
January 22nd 2013 - 2 days, 11 hours - PS3


Avoid this rubbish at all costs, unless you want to score a quick and easy platinum and you can find it in a bargain bin for only a few euros.

6. CSI: Fatal Conspiracy
March 13th 2013 - 3 days, 22 hours - PS3


Another flop in the enjoyment factor, as the story is rather linear and bar episode 4 isn't worth the effort to put in.

7. LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
May 1st 2013 - 1 week, 4 days - PS Vita


My very first VITA platinum, this is not the same as the PS3 version but is a ported version of the Nintendo DS game.  It's rather straightforward as you have the smaller levels and a duelling club, but it wasn't to bad actually.

8. LEGO Lord of the Rings
May 16th 2013 - 2 weeks, 3 days - PS Vita


The second Lego platinum on the Vita, this is a tuned down version of the PS game, but not a bad game at all.  It was a fast and enjoyable platinum, and worth adding to your Vita library.

9. Megamind
May 19th 2013 - 1 week, 17 hours - PS3


Andy had this game platinumed and told me it ain't half bad.  Yes, it has the comical aspect of the movie, but I didn't think it to good a game.  Luckily I found it in a bargain bin at the local game store.

10. The Penguins of Madagascar
May 31st 2013 - 1 week, 1 hour - PS3


Another fast and easy THQ platinum, this game was actually worth the time playing.  Sure it ain't the difficult braincracker or time grinder, but the puzzles as you command all 4 penguins make it a funny game to play and add a fast platinum to your library.

11. Up
June 11th 2013 - 1 week, 18 hours - PS3


If you want to play an actual GOOD game from the THQ stall of animation movies adaptions, grab Up.  You'll find it in most second hand sections for not to much money, but it is of all those I played this year to boost my points the most pleasurable of all.  Though the plane sequences are a rather pain with the erratic camera movements.

12. LEGO Legends of Chima
July 27th 2013 - 1 month, 1 week - PS Vita


The only gampe not to have a bigger brother on the PS3 in the Lego series, this is also the best of them.  It has long levels for a Vita Lego game, smooth animations and nice cut scenes, and a good story line.  This is the Lego game you need to have in your Vita library!  The only pity a bit is that you don't actually need to complete it to 100% in order to platinum the game.

13. The Walking Dead
August 12th 2013 - 5 months, 3 weeks - PS3


Does this game need any words?  Only a shame that like now with season 2 and the Fables line by Telltale it takes a while until a new episode is released.

14. X-Men Destiny
August 25th 2013 - 1 year, 8 months - PS3


It took a very long time to plat this one not because it is so hard or so, but the challenge motivated me to also finish it on medium and hard difficulties.  It ain't the hardest of games and it is quit enjoyable in storyline terms.

15. Skylanders Giants
August 28th 2013 - 3 months, 2 weeks - PS3


My hardest platinum in rarity ratings, mainly because the extreme difficulty you unlock after the first playthrough.  It was an enjoyable franchise though and I kind of like the system far better then Infinity, as you don't need to buy a heap of 'starters' to be able to ven play characters.

16. The Walking Dead
September 27th 2013 - 3 weeks, 2 days - PS Vita


It came to the Vita, I played it.  Period.  Now the GF can play season 2 when it comes on the PS, and I'll make my choices in the Vita version then.

17. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
September 28th 2013 - 5 months, 1 day - PS Vita


This game has a darn hard trophy, namely completing the Justice League on gold rating.  That one alone took me on and off gaming almost 2 months to get and then it was a stroll to the platinum.  By far the hardest Lego Vita platinum I gained.

18. Wonderbook: Book of Spells
September 29th 2013 - 4 months, 1 day - PS3


It's a wonderfull piece of technology, and this platinum is nearly completely the kids achievement.  He adores the Potter verse (as does his mum, so she was the moral support during the whole game) and be able to step into it was a fantastic experience.  My only contribution was 2 bronze trophies as he had lost intrest after finishing the game and I got to do a quick clean up for the platinum.

19. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires
October 5th 2013 - 1 year, 5 months - PS3


The accidental platinum of the challenge and this list.  I was at my place and just bashing some buttons in this game knowing I needed some more trophies while the GF was off somewhere.  Then suddenly a golden trophy popped followed by the platinum, seemed I just needed to do some small clean up in a few missions without even realising it as I revisisted this musou game after more then a year.

20. Legends of War
October 21st 2013 - 1 week, 2 hours - PS Vita


One of the best games I played on the Vita, this is an actual real time strategy game in the style of the Battleground games, though with smoother graphics of course.

21. LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
November 12th 2013 - 1 year, 2 weeks - PS3


It was mostly the kid and my two nephews that been playing this game, so I didn't interfere with it until the end of the challenge neared and it was at 90+ % completed.  I just stepped in and did the clean up of searching for the final missing pieces.

22. Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers
December 9th 2013 - 1 week, 3 days - PS3


My crowning topgame of this year, again I love the franchise and I would be damned if I didn't platinum this one!  So within a week and a half of it being released, I put the platinum of this beat-em-up on my virtual shelf.  It plays different from other beaters, but knowing the series by heart definitly helped for platting it this swiftly!

23. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Universe in Peril
December 22nd 2013 - 1 month, 4 days - PS Vita


A completely different game from it's big brother, the critics are disliking this over the web.  I don't!  It is build up of challenges that take a few minutes for each 'sub level' and makes it the ideal game to put in a few quick rounds in between doing things.

24. Shrek Forever After
December 26th 2013 - 6 months, 1 week - PS3


A rather boring game, the only reason I platted it is because it could be done rather fast after the first stint and the kids chucking some time into it, but even they got fastly bored.

25. LEGO The Lord of the Rings
December 28th 2013 - 1 year, 1 month - PS3


The only reason this rather great Lego game took this long, was because it was on the PS at my parents, and only after I learned how to transfer my save games between to systems with the same account on it did I play it again decently and platinumed it to crown the challenge of.


So that are all 25 platinums, and as you can see, with 8 titles the Lego franchise has been the most represented between them all, and only 6 Vita titles have been platted, 4 of which where Lego games...


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten