vrijdag 6 juli 2018

Shadow's End - Sheri S. Tepper

The latest novel I finished, I found this one a while ago in a bargain bin for a euro, my main source for obtaining books.

I had no idea of the writer of previous works, so here we went, diving into a totally new story

Plot

On Alliance Central, the world once called Earth, nothing breathes but man and the wind, and the wind is tamed beneath great domes.  From here, humanity rules a vast stellar empire.

When colonists in a remote frontier system are abruptly and totally wiped out by an alien visitation, every team sent to investigate vanishes.  At least, reluctantly, a lone woman must travel with her disabled young son into this devastating silence.
For reasons that become painfully clear, they alone can reach beyond the shadow cast by human civilization.

What I liked about it

* the heavy contrast between high tech, robot controlled earth, and the colony scenes which almost read as a fantasy instead of a sci-fi novel.

What I didn't like about it

* In my taste, the build up fase before the "real" story starts might be a bit to long.

But it wasn`t to bad a book, and a good reading for on public transportation...

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten