donderdag 19 maart 2015

Vikings season 1

Okay, so another one to scratch of the backlog of series, movies and anime`s, go me...

Now, Vikings is a series that is beginning to get a serious cult following, and like any series, it has it`s lovers and haters.

Haters mainly diss the fact of the `liberal historical accuracy`, lovers saying it is on par with Game of Thrones and The Sopranos.

I guess I`m a bit in the middle.

I really enjoyed the first season, it has a strong storyline of the young viking farmer Ragnor Lothbrook sailing west as the first viking ever, and coming back with great riches.  This to the envy of his earl though, who wants to keep raiding to the east.  His succes however sets in motion a series of events which lead to Ragnar slaying his lord in honorable duel, and becoming the new earl of his clan, refreshing the raiding into england.

Here, the first seeds of the treachery by his brother Rollo are sown, who converts to christianity amongst other ploys to hopefully step out of the shadow of Ragnar.

When Ragnar is send to a Jarl by the king, Rollo swears allegiance to stand against the monarch, and ends with a huge cliffhanger for season 2.

Do I look forward to settling back and watching this?  Yes definitly.  But I do have one HUGE problem when watching the series... I just can`t warm up to the Ragnar character, it`s a combination of his voice and his demeanor that well, makes him the least loveable character for me personally.

But if he keeps sleeping with other women, I`ll gladly comfort his wife Lagertha ;-)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten