vrijdag 6 februari 2015

Xam'd: Lost Memories review

When the series was announced back 2008 as a PSN Exclusive, it generated quite a hype and positive reviews.

Now, more then 6 years later, I finally sat down and had a look at this whole thing, and what it was all about.  And I`m also going to try and give my opnions of movies, games, series and anime`s from now on without the whole spoiler-y synopsis...

The basic premises of the series is that some kids, like lead character Akiyuki Takehara, can change themselves in a sort of strange alien beings, called Xam`d, but also tend to loose themselves to far into them, becoming raging engines of destruction.

Which is, all in all by the way it goes in the series, a rather original take on the monster genre...

But unfortunatly, I wasn`t to wild about the whole series.  While it has fluent drawing styles, like when someone transforms into a Xam`d, and lively colours to avoid it becoming a dark and brooding, Alien like series, I just don`t really like it for no specific reason.

Is it the over the top forms of the Xam`d creatures?  The odd interaction between the crew of the skyship Zanbani?  The rather shallow characters, even including the lead?  I can`t really put my finger on it exactly, but I guess it`s a bit of a combination of all of the above...

So yeah, for pure artistic reasons, I rate this series rather high, but unfortunatly, I can`t say the same for enjoyment value, as I just didn`t manage to get into it...

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten