vrijdag 3 maart 2017

Excalibur - The Sword is Drawn

This is a bit of a special moment for me, filled with nostalgia of the highest order.  This comic is the one that made me to the Geek that I am.

You see, way back in 1988, this 10 year old stepped inside a comic store in Antwerp, Mekanik Strip, an bought his very first comic from his own pocket money.

By then, I had already read some of the dutch translated JuniorPress editions, passed down by my aunt who loved reading X-Men, but then I saw one named after a legendary sword (little did I know back then) and with Nightcrawler on the cover.

I immediately fell "in love" with the Captain Britain character, and the rest as they say, was history.  I parted with most of my old comic collection in the beginning of the 21st century, but for this series I really regretted it and I am slowly putting the series back together.  And at Comic Con, in a bargain bin, I found this one.

This is the story of how two X-Men that survived the apparant dead of their team, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat, are recovering on Muir Island.  In the meantime, Captain Britain is losing himself in drinking over the loss of his twin sister Psylocke, as the Technet, send by Saturnyne, and Mojo's Warwolves are hunting the dimension hopping Phoenix (Rachel).  This forces the heroes to put aside their grieves and pick up the dream of Charles Xavier, forming the Excalibur team (often called the british X-Men team afterwards) even though neither Brian nor Meggan are actually mutants.

And the rest, for this little Geek, is history as they say... this was my Patient Zero inside my comic life!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten