woensdag 15 oktober 2014

The Great Experiment: epic failure

Two weeks.  Actually less then two weeks.  That is how long it took me to hopelessly flunk the Great Experiment to see which would trade back it`s value first: Lego or Magic.

Why?  Because I`m weak of heart when it comes to the little plastic bricks.  The whole attempt to see if I could trade away the boxes I still had lying around for boxes more suitable for my MOC`s failed because in those boxes where actual pieces I could use for `some MoC sometime`.

I`ll give you an example of a few months ago.  When the Lego Ideas Female Scientist set came out, about each and every investor was yelling to grab them as much as you could, and save them for Q4.  Ideas have low production runs, and at 20 euros for a set, this was a sure shot to get at least the double value back for once the holiday season quarter hit.  It helped the set came out in the low period of july...

Less then a week later the set was already sold out at most locations, and it went on sites like BrickLink and eBay for at least 40, sometimes even hitting 60.  That is a factor 2 to 3 in about a week!

So I duly bought a set and heck, I thought I would be able to hold on to it for a few months.  Less then a week later:
I mean come on, how COOL is that T-rex skeleton and that printed astro chart...

Together with that set came also the Exo Suit, which enjoyed a similar prediction and fate, though at current a small extra run has been made, but that is soon to run out as well.  And we all know which build I featured on this blog last week...

It`s different with cards.  They cycle out and since I don`t play anything out of Limited or Standard, I have no problems at all with parting with them once they are of no more use.  Add in the fact I usually play Red Aggro, and about 80% of a set doesn`t hold any intrest for me the moment I crack open the booster box.

Needless to say, the cards where winning big time already in those two weeks...

So I deciced in all good fate to close the experiment down.  Sets like those 5 Legendary Crocidile Beast I got on the very cheap are already parted out in my colour boxes, and a build of one of them will be featured one of these days.  Like many builds I`m doing at the moment, as one by one the sealed boxes are being cracked open after all.

I just can`t resist to the sets standing on a shelf and doing nothing (though for things like the Star Wars sets, I do have no problem at all to trade the minifigs for usuable Collectible Minifigures or cool superheroes... bit not the droids though, their arms are excellent fence planks...).

So sorry Benji, I`m afraid I`m not going to be able to give you the investigated answer wether it is more intresting to part with old cards, or to raid toy stores for Lego sets... I have to crack open some more boxes and build some more things...

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten