donderdag 12 september 2024

Warhammer Underworlds battle report: Tapdancing with the Crimson Court

 Another week of Warhammer Underworlds, and this time I got both my games in with the Crimson Court as I keep trying to get a hang of them and their Paths of Prophecy combination for the Benelux Clash II.
 
And so we went to give it a try, and decide wether or not I'll need to do some tinkering still...
 

 
The first game was against Peter and Lady Harrow's Mournflight, sporting the Malevolent Masks.   
 

 
The aristocracy of the night deployed, wondering why their bedlinnen was floating all around at the other side of the table.  I did change my boards for the bands I bring along though, the classic one from the Starterset 2023, which is still legal, is blank on both sides and ideal for objective play.  Which apparently also came up with lol.
 


 
The vampires spread out slightly in the opening phases of the battle, but Gorath drew first "blood" by striking down the Widow Caitha.


The Screaming Maiden occupied the objective I needed to score something this round, with my opening hand being bad and the redraw even more dramatic, wounding her for 2.
 
 Peter scored good passive glory, and after round 1 there was a 6-2 lead on the table for the Mournflight.  No worries though, whack the Maiden and the glory will come in though in droves. 

 

The Lady Harrow herself swoops in, attacking Velas, but the vampire mistress stands firm.  Duvalle entered the fray, pushing the Lady away while the Maiden makes good her escape thanks to a ploy.


The Anguished One attacks Velas, taking down the vampiress though unfortunatly.  This isn't going to plan at all I must say...



Gorath joins the battle, being inspired, and fails to wound the Lady Harrow, keeping her on her last two.



But the Maiden as such is still around, and the ghosts swoop start surrounding the vampires, resulting in a 13-4 lead for the Mournflight after round 2.



Seizing the initiative for the final round, Duvalle charges forward... and misses the Maiden, as Gorath slinks onto the objective.



But he falls to the anguised attacks of the Anguished One, only with the final becoming active Ennais avengening him by taking out the Lady Harrow.


She rose from the dead briefly though through the Masks deck, but her attacks failed to hit Duvalle before she vanished for ever.



In the final activation, Duvalle strikes again against the Maiden, rolling a massive two crits... with the Maiden rolling the same on her defence.  That accursed piece of tablelinnen just didn't want to die!



With the deck stalling for objectives I could score, while the Masks deck ran smoothly, a logical 17-7 defeat was as such my fate...



For the second game, I came up against Wouter and his Thricefold Discord with Toxic Terror.



And they deployed hyper aggresively!  Luckily I had a decent opening hand this time, so if I could withstand the onslaught, I could go chasing objectives.

 


Ennais is immediatly wounded for two in the Discords opening moves, but together with a Quicksilver Advance and his own move, he retreats to safer spaces.  Like an objective marker in the back of the Discord's territory.  If they want to finish him, they will need to split up!


Duvalle however is not so lucky, being one-shotted by the big Vexmor in one go, ouch.  


But I scored well this turn, and I had a 4-1 lead after round 1 as a result.


At the opening of the second turn, Gorath, aided by some boosting from power cards, smacked down Lascivyr with his huge maul.



Using some slinks, and his defiance upgrade that allows him to be pushed after dealing damage, he moved out of range from Vexmor, only assailable now from the 1 damage ping of Vashtiss.



The second round ended, and the lead of the Vampires remained, now standing at 8-5.



In the final round, Vashtiss came closer to assault Gorath, but he survived the ordeal.  


And duly moved away as Velas came into the fray to try and wound the demons, pushing the sorceress of the objective.  


Velas is smacked down by Vexmor... but Undying Evil saves her and she remains in the game, to the frustration of Wouter.
 
 With the rest of my turn being drawing cards and moving Gorath onto the objective, it all ends with a 15-11 victory for the Crimson Court.
 
Okay, so this second game was all but rock 'n roll, as I am learning to resist my urge to charge in, and focus on moving around instead.  It worked, helped by cards that now came better then in the first game.
 
I'm still not 100% confident in the warband / deck combo, even considering to swap in Rimelocked Relics, but I guess I'm going to bite the bullet.  This combo could go as easily 6-0 as 0-6, so we'll see what it'll be in the Netherlands, but in the former result my opponent will have frustrating games, sorry in advance!




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten