zondag 30 augustus 2020

My Top 5 Fandoms: 2 - Saint Seiya

Let' start by stating this was very close with the winner, and the deciding factor in the end was the fact I can`t "enjoy" this fandom in gaming.


I was a wee little boy still when this series came out on the french television round 1987, under the name of Les Chevaliers du Zodiaque, and I was hooked from the go.

And it never left me, so I was one of those desperatly counting down the 15 - 20 odd years before the final chapter of the original series, Hades, was finally made and released.

While my favorite saint has always been Hyoga, the bronze Cygnus saint (and the one I sport a huge tattoo from on my arm), I loved the anime only God Warriors arc perhaps the most (and hence my other tattoo, of Hagen of Merak).  But of course, there are also the mighty Gold Saints, and while The Lost Canvas brought some awesome iterations of the previous Holy War (Manigoldo of Cancer!!!), the saints of "my generation" got an awesome, and for some redeeming, arc in the recent years series Soul of Gold.


The series always balanced concept of loyalty and friendship with great action parts, and this makes it a joy to watch, even though in the west it never rose to spectacular heights like for example Dragonball, a contemporary of the anime.  Yet it still has a loyal and strong fanbase, and I am part of it.


Just delete the Netflix CGI abomination from your brain, that was, well, not a good thing to get into the anime, as it was way to childish for what is a rather intelligent and complex franchise.  Better get into Omega then instead, though you might want to overlook the jewellery part of season 1...

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten