zaterdag 25 november 2023

Tournament Report: Casual Warhammer Underworlds November 2023

 Well, one can say I really threw myself back into the hobby...

Remember from my report on the casual evening I went to play in october, that Peter, the organiser, was going to run a tournament?



Well, past weekend it happened, taking place in the local Games Workshop store which supported the event.  As I had that saturday free in my calendar, I joined in with the fun, the event using the Rivals format so I could just grab the bands basic deck for it.  As for the warband went, I decided to take out Morgwaeth's Blade-coven, as I had at least one game under the belt with them and while I doubted they would dodge as well as that time, they are just fun to play.  And at least look mighty sexy amongst all those monstrocities in the Underworlds.
 

 
So packed and ready with the "sponsor cap"(I did need to make some publicity for an Underworlds tournament I'm hosting myself next year at the club, Into the Under-Ekeren), I started the journey to GW Antwerpen for the event.



The tournament hosted 9 players, and we all got some nice promotional material for participating, with the alternate art cards for the new Deathgorge box warbands and objectives, as well as acryll wound tokens.
 


 
For my first round I was drawn against Valentin, a nice german bloke who lives in The Netherlands, and ended no less then 10th at the recent Underworlds World Championship in Atlanta.  He brought with him Domitan's Stormcoven, so heavy armoured wizardry shenanigans where facing me...
 





 
Good things first, the very first wound of the game went to me.  After that, it all quickly went downhill, including a very unimpressive Morgwaeth failing no less then 5 attack dice in a row ending up as double support results.  That way you don`t take out any enemies, while my fragile ladies fell one after the other.   This resulted in a 14 - 3 loss.

So we moved on to the second opponent, Debbie, and her Magore's Fiend warband.  Great, Khorne warriors so even more agressive then my psychotic ladies.  Needless to say, I deployed as far to the back as I could and let her do the rushing forward, trying to play the reacting game instead.  








After the first round she was in the lead on glory points, but then the ladies started to crawl their way back in the fight, the highlight being Morgweath taking out Magore as she was inspired, and making use of her reach.  With only the Hellhound remaining, and being overwhelmed by my three remaining warriors, I had the whole third turn all for myself to try and score as many points as possible.  The result was a 15-6 win for the Witch Elves.



As it was lunch break, the best painted warband was selected by the store staff, and it was actually this warband that took the deckbox price.

So one up and one down, I came across Vincent.  We loved to play against each other at last, and so his Gorechosen of Dromm lined up to beat my ladies to a pulpy sacrifice to Khorne.  I once again took a waiting stance, and made use of the reach on my models.  






Even though his big guy inspired, my arenai warrior kept dodging all attacks, and when she inspired due to another in his band being taken out by Morgwaeth, made short work of the brute, leaving only his leader on the field.  Using a Headlong to move Morgwaeth in position without charge token, the leader went down to the combined attacks of the two vixens, and as I wiped another warband still had two activations to try and score more objectives.  I managed as a result a 15-5 win, totalling 33 glory and 2 wins for the event.

This proved to be just a little under the podium and the deckbox price, as the third place was held by Ost with 35 glory points.  But it was a great day, and my opponent of the first game went on to win the tournament and take away the coveted glass shard.  With two wins out of three games, I can hold my chin up high, and hopefully will see you all at the Ekeren event!


And one thing we learned, Khaine is victorious over Khorne today!






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten