zaterdag 10 november 2018

Boekenbeurs 2018

It's been a few years since I've been there, but past thrusday Noshi and me went to the nocturnal opening (meaning it's open until 10 in the evening) of the Boekenbeurs.

Initially, we planned going on the sunday after Crisis; but with us both being knackered as hell we just spend that day really lazy in the couch...

But no more!  So straight after work, we hopped on the tram for the 20 odd minute trip to Antwerp Expo, and 10 euro later we where inside.

Spread inside the convention center over 4 halls, the Boekenbeurs is labelled as the walhalla for those who love to read, and with often authors present to sign their books.

Unfortunatly for me, english books of the sci-fi and fantasy genres are limited to a single stand.  But I did pick up the Fall of Gondolin there.

Now for a quote, and I thought it tbh rather sad... when I went to ask if they also had hardback Children of Hurin, the person behind the counter went to look in her pc system and returned with the incredible following statement:
"No, that is sold out, but the person who wrote that book apparently has written a third book so far..." (she means Beren and Luthien).
Now, I kind of like the idea that Tolkien is still in the writing business and is going at it in good health *sigh*.

There was also a hall which contained a whole stand of manga, anime and comics, but understandably the more "popular" names and franchises.


Apart from books, there was some other activities to do, and I entered the Knack quiz.

Before enjoying a good "boke with choco", and hmmhmmm it was Boerinnekeschoco.

After a few hours; those nocturnal openings are the max as there wasn't a lot of people around, making it for smooth strolling, it was time to get back to the casa, and open a free gift book parcel I received at a stand of a new online book platform on the belgian market.  I had hoped it would be the suprise book about Mick Jagger (the most interesting for me on the free books they had on display), but fate dealt me this one.

Okay, psychological and neurological situational reading about making choices and the consequences... not my thing... seems I picked wrong.  but I made collegue happy with it, as she likes to read that sort of things.

So all that was left to do was grab a bite, at a new Kumpir restaurant, Patates, around our corner.  Damn tasty and not expensive at all.



One conclusion I do want to share is this: the whole genre of 50 Shades, like Noshi was looking around for in case something new was out, seems a total no go on the fare.  Probably because of children on the fare and such, but still, if you see how many girls / women read that stuff... that seems like a big lacking.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten