dinsdag 6 november 2018

Crisis 2018... afterthoughts and ponderings

So it has been a few days now since our wargame show has passed, and both body and mind are setting back to their default settings.

Now, while walking around Crisis and looking over the internet, I made a few observations.  Mind you, these are totally my own thoughts, but I thought it might be intresting to share.

I originally wanted to tape this as a video, but the voice totally abandoned me and made place for the typical autumn cold, so let's write it down instead.

1. The Age of the Tile has past


They really where a thing up to a decennium ago, and we still use a lot of them at the club.  The scenery tile, in our club`s case mostly the foamboard TSS ones (the company recently went defunct), as literally hundreds of them are stacked at the clubhouse, are phasing out completely.

But nowadays, it is all about mats.  I saw numerous people walk around with their newly purchased gaming mats, wether they being Kraken, Deep Cut, or like myself, P-Works.  And usually the neo-prene (mousemat material) variation.

The mats are easier to stock and definitly a lot easier to transport, so it is logical, and almost every demonstration or participation game had it as an underground as well.

2. The Age of the mass Plastic Boxes is coming to an end


Warlord, Victrix, Perry Minaitures... you know, those boxes with 20 to 40 figures for around 20 GBP.  At most traders they where at serious discounts, even at the "main manufacturers" themselves.  It seems most wargamers have stocked up on their armies over the past years and are now slowing down on buying them.

It`s something I observe at the club as well.  If there are mega games, figures are provided, so new players don`t need to invest and paint massive armies, something I`ll come back to in point 3 as well.  As a result you could really stock up on them during this Crisis, and another good indicator was the amount of painted plastic armies on offer in the Bring and Sell, because...

3. Skirmish games are a big thing


Many demo games on the show involved skirmish, or at least smaller scale, battles.  The idea to only need 20 to 50 models for an army, as is the case in a lot of World War 2 games on 28mm, is seemingly very appealing to the masses.

As a result, the amount of really massive armies (I`m talking here games with 300 to 500 models a side) seems to be dwindling down, as more and more players due to time constraints and "logistical issues" (painting the armies, getting a place to play etc etc) is getting less and less in the newer generation of wargamers.  No offense to the older gamers amongst us, but it is seemingly a switch coming along with the current day "being lived" mentality in the western world.  My generation just doesn`t have the time to paint up large forces rather quickly due to work and other obligations anymore, I know from own personal experience that my "to and end hours" at work are often just an approximation, and I`m often too knackered in the evening to paint more then an hour a day.
Heck, it seems to me this even causes people to just be able to spare a few hours at a show (pick up orders, quick tour, maybe a short chat) and be off again to that next thing they have to do during the weekend...

As a result, if you can complete a smaller scale (in model numbers wise) force in a few weeks time and play with painted material... that`s just ideal these days.

4. Terrain, the purchase queen of Crisis 2018


Terrain was bought.  A LOT at this Crisis.  Not counting The Last Valley who sells out like every year, the other terrain traders, wether they being resin, printed or MDF, all seemed to do very good business this year.

I understand this is mainly due to over increasing postage costs, because a resin Roman villa quickly goes to a serious weight bracket to pay on top of your purchase, and then there is the "gentle hand" of customs officers to take into consideration as well.

But I saw a lot of terrain in the "loot posts" afterwards, heck, I also bought a bunch of stuff this year, both MDF as completed things.

So there they are, the four points I mostly observed at the show this year... do you agree, think I am totally talking bullshit?  Let me know in the comments below!


6 opmerkingen:

  1. Based on my experiences with the UK show circuit, I think that is pretty much well observed. Mats are visually nice, easy to store, plenty of variety, all the work is done for you and most significantly, they work with the 'kitchen table' sized games that we seem to be moving towards.

    Skirmish games without doubt are taking centre stage and regardless as to how people feel about that, the reality is, what does a person in 2018 do when faced with getting into a new period and building from scratch and I think the answer is almost certainly to have skirmish sized forces, even large skirmish, but 300 figs per side is looking too daunting for the modern gamer.


    With a focus away from big armies, building a nice table to include a few nice buildings can receive more attention. There are quite a few new companies that have grown on the back of MDF, but I think this renewed focus on buildings has helped resin … it has for me.


    I don't think the plastic box is coming to an end though. 28mm has pretty much become dominant at wargame shows and we have lost figure diversity there (and in the media). The discounting might represent market saturation / penetration, but I am guessing now that plastic is mainstream (it was disliked by many), the price of a box these days is simply reflecting their true value and they are probably still shifting.


    The issue will become the creation of new lines to keep people interested and then keeping older lines in production, this new dimension of maintaining a line will become an interesting aspect, as will the first plastics in other scales, though plastics in smaller scales suggest mass armies ….. but you know, what goes around, comes around, so who knows, there are quite a few figure gamers down-scaling, but, they are not being represented at the shows or by the media.

    So shows are a bit like media and do not reflect everything, they certainly don't reflect what is happening on all the kitchen tables, which I have to say includes a fair bit of small scale gaming with bigger armies. I say that being part way through a thousand 1066 12mm figures -)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I am kind of jealous on that part, from my gaming 'environment', being mostly 2 different clubs, people seem to swear by 28 / 30 heroic scales over here

      Verwijderen
  2. I think one challenge is the tooling costs for plastic can be a challenge for rules and periods. All well and good when the major armies of a popular period are small in number, but who is going to tool Kofun Japanese.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Very true, once entering the "realm of obscure", plastic seems to *not* become the future

      Verwijderen
  3. Your point about mats vs tiles is probably true but I just don't see it - mats are OK for seascapes and the like but they look ridiculous for anything else.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I agree, the blue sea mat or the fully green grassy field, I can relate.

      But al those printed city'scapes' etc, don't rock my boot either, I just pop terrain on it for the 3d effect

      Verwijderen