dinsdag 16 april 2019

The Brick that forced my Hand

Well, it has happened, and sooner then originally planned.

A new home is in the nearby future, and that does cost a bit more then your average Games Workshop kit.  Because the sale agreement has been signed, now it's just a bunch of paperwork to get around.


Now, I always said that the moment I would be buying bricks, I'm seriously going to cut down on my collections, basically keeping my Lord of the Rings as the "main" hobby project, and Burrows and Badgers as the "distraction" side project.  With the added bonus they can "share" their terrain.

That will mean that a lot of just started, planned or not really active projects will get axed before they seriously started, and some others will be cut down to "playable" sizes instead of megalomaniac projects of thousands of points (I'm looking at you, Emperor's Children).


I can't guarantee that won`t mean I`ll be building up or plain rebuilding forces again afterwards, but for now, also because there will be a lot of work to be done, some just won`t see any chance of paint on them... for the next two years or so.  So it might be better just to sell them off and see where some gamesystems stand anno 2021 or thereabouts...

Add to that that I will have a mancave in similar size to the one I have now, but this is a great opportunity to finally get some order in that stack that has been amassing for 25 years and with every decent system of order and storage long being relegated to the annals of history.

Burrows and Badgers as well as Lord of the Rings are safe anyways, as these are games both me and Noshi play, against each other as well as outside.  But some other things, like the planned Eldar army for example is definitly going to get shafted, as that just won`t be getting around in both shopping, building and actually painting them...


Once all of the works have been done and the man cave is finished (which will be one of the last rooms, as my collections will be transported a box at a time or so), peace and relaxation will be all mine!

But perhaps the BIGGEST factor in making this decision, apart from of course pure finances as every eurocent turned around on old lead and plastics, is that I LOVE painting Middle Earth.  Not only due to the "fanboy" connections to it, they are just models I like doing for some of those mysterious reasons no-one can actually put a finger on.  The uniformity of the armies, yet with enough variation in it to not become a drag like painting 100 monotone power armoured troops for one., but also that while even they are in 6th edition already now (okay granted, the first 3 editions just expanded on each other in the days of the original trilogy) the game at the core is still the same as in 2001, and armies still haven't needed a big overhaul, nor is converting galore needed to create battleworty forces.
Another appeal is that the models don't require hours of glueing and fitting, as most are one piece casts, at best requiring an arm and a shield to be added, saving a LOT of time on them.


There just comes that time in every wargamers life that he must choose between hobby and real life expenses, I count myself lucky that it took on average 15 years longer then with most fellow clubmembers, but now that time stands before me.  So the Mega 40k battle this year will be the final outing of the 3rd Legion and then it will start to dwindle into a fond memory...

But after getting a 5k price prognosis to floor the whole place... the brick is forcing my hand.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten