vrijdag 3 juli 2020

Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy 109

Well, time to take a look at WSS109, as I recently received my digital copy.  



You see, with 9th edition 40k announced, I gave up on Games Workshop, and as such on White Dwarf.  But I "need" a monthly dose of reading, and after weighing all the options, I decided to take a digital subscription to WSS.  I will be using my old WD format of putting articles that especially intrest me in bold.

And yes, I know it's bi-monthly actually...

Guy Bowers kicks off in the editorial by telling us it's an experiment: instead of their usual magazine dedicated around a central conflict, they went to a location instead: Afghanistan.  And then build the magazine around this theme.

The first article is the Miniature Reviews section, a hefty selection but nothing that particularly catches my intrest though.

In The Gaming Life, Rick Priestley takes a look at how times have been changing.

Pavlov's House is a scenario for second world war Stalingrad in Bolt Action.

Next we have a scenario for the Battle of Bremule, set in 1119 and putting the Norman successor forces against each other.

Tabletop Tactics presents us with a mini-campaign set in WW, but can be adapted to any period according to author Henry Hyde.

And then we come to the theme of the month, Afghanistan, graveyard of Empires.  Starting out by looking at all the armies that failed there over the course of history in this gateway country between Europe, India and China.

First up is Alexander the Great as he crosses the land of bones.

We then go to 1880, with the Battle of Maiwand in the second Anglo-Afghan war.

In 1919; the Magutsabad Incident took place, as Afghan forces invaded British territory.

Of course, for people my age, we all know the conflict with the Russians during the Cold War (hmmm, Hind's) and this is where the theme carries us next.

In the Venom of the Cobra, the magazine helps you through building Afghan forces for the various conflicts above, and where to get suitable models from.

The Bravery is a look at a diorama made for the Battle of Khandahar in 1880.

The Irregular takes a look at umpiring Kriegsspiel, and how it can be played even over the internet possibly.

In the Hobby section, they talk about creating slot together scenery, and how to paint a Dwarven army in 28mm.

The Let's Play is Infamy, Infamy - the newest set of TFL and if you follow Facebook a little, also the source of huge discussion between TMP and, well, a lot of people.

Game reviews are published for Mortem et Gloriam (now produced by The Plastic Soldier Company), HG Wells Little Wars, Rangers of Shadow Deep: Across the Wastes and Blitzkrieg.

Book reviews are then handled, before going to the Parting Shots about Wargames revolutions.

Okay, so perhaps not the best issue for me personally, though I will read everything, as there is *zilch* about era's that I fancy personally.  Surely I dabble outside my "between two civil wars" period of intrest (aka, anything from ECW to ACW) but nothing in here that catches a spark of "I must go play that period".

However... next time the theme is right up my alley, as the AWI is then the centrepoint, so expect a lot more bold marked articles then!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten