maandag 26 juni 2023

Bier Passie Weekend Antwerp 2023

 It's that time again, as the weekend of discovering beer on the Groenplaats in Antwerp has arrived.


That means lots of variety, tasting and new additions to my Untappd account!
 
So, armed with a short list of 8 beers I definitly wanted to try, we set out on a journey of hoppy discovery! 



Under a sweltering sun, as the belgian heatwave days are back after a single cooler day in the past month, and the sounds of a dixieland band, me and Noshi went armed with our reference guide (and initially, my paper scrap of things to try) to give it all a try.  Please note some pics are off, not because of high drunkeness on my part, but because I pulled back the phone just a tat to early.  I`m typing this sunday mornings, and there is not a single grain of hangover to be found in my old body.



Starting off was La Guillotine, a very heavy 8.5% multiple grains beer, a serious kick off today.



Noshi took a Floris Framboos, 3.6% and really refreshing.  Both these beers came from Brouwerij Huyge in Melle.



The next two beers where from microbrewery Abdij van Grimbergen, me going for the 8% Magnum Opus, Noshi taking the 8% Magnum Opus Brut Rosé, but to be honest both lacked a bit of an "oomph" and where amongst the least favorite ones we tried today.  The cheese was super duper though!





My next taster was a Malheur Summer, a 5% wheat beer, produced by Brouwerij De Landtsheer in Buggenhout.



While Noshi went for a new beer for this year, the Timmermans Lambicus Kriek Black Pepper, a 4% cherry beer that gave a nice spicy tough in the the aftertaste from Brouwerij John Martin in Waterloo (yeap, that place where Napoleon rued his visit to Belgium).



The we came to the stand of Leroy Breweries in Boezinge, and coming from the heart of hop brewing region in Belgium, I knew this was going to be good.  I took the special Hommelbier Fresh Harvest 2023, a 7.5%er, Noshi going for the Cuvée Watou Rouge of 8.5%.




I also purchased two beer sets at this stand, a steal at 15 euro for both together, for some more tasting back home.




Noshi followed up with a Martha Guilty Pleasure by the Brew Society in Heule, another new release for this year of 8%, but liked the above mentioned Watou more though.



The next one Noshi did like a lot, the Rasta Trolls, a 7% blonde enriched with brown rum by Brasserie Dubouisson in Pipaix.



I went for good old Scheldebrouwerij in Meer, and took their 9% 'N Toeback.  I never had a bad beer from them so far I must say.



My next experiment, and another special for this year, was the 6.9% Corsendonk Grand Hops Edition 2022, but to be honest found it a bit average compared to other beers I already tasted today.



Noshi in the meantime was send out to seduce the bartender of Brouwerij Vanhonsebrouck in Emelgem, to get a nice fishermen's hat for me along with her Kasteel Rubus Framboise, another new release and 7% of refreshing, pure fruit beer.




Next on the stop, the Stuut Aloha IPA of 6.2%, nothing spectacular for this Brasserie Caulier from Peruwelz.



While Noshi too a Tarot Noir, a beer I already tried out in the past by Brouwerij Linde;ans in Vlezenbeek.



I ended the day with a Le Plan Extra, a new yet simple, 4.8% beer from Le Plan Vermeersch.



While Noshi rounded out with another Tarot, the D'Or, a beer also tasted before with a hefty 8%.



So, there ended the beer tasting, resulting in no less then 15 new entries for my Untappd profile.  I also received a lovely Bier Passie t-shirt, a small pre-birthday gift from my little man.  At the back it says a wise life lesson, a bit fitting I would say.
 


 
These festivals are aslo great for some random conversations, like with these two guys, Bjorn and Mike.  No idea who they where, but they asked if they could join at our table.  Of course they could, and we had some laughs before moving on.  Though I can`t fathom as I heard people tell that some people dind`t want people at their tables... it's a beer festival for crying out loud!


Well, that's the first beer festival of the year under wraps for me, let's see if we get the opportunity to visit one or two more during the year.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten