zondag 7 februari 2021

Review: Baccus6mm ACW Union Army Pack, Eastern Theatre

For use in Altar of Freedom, I finally decided to start building my 6mm Union army in earnest, and ordered the Eastern Theatre Union army from Baccus6mm a while ago.

And in today's post, I`m looking at all the different units of the force, including the flags I ordered seperatly from them as well for the force.



They carry two army packs for the Union on the site, and Eastern and a Western theatre variant, but being the defensive playing lover of artillery that I am, the Eastern one was my top pick as it contains some more cannons compared to an extra infantry unit for the Western variant.

The army set is divided in 4 zip lock bags, all containing some different units.  So let's go by those bags one by one, and see what is included in them...

The first bag contains the cavalry, both mounted (2 strips) and dismounted (5 strips).  This is quite okay, as the ACW wasn't a grand charge war, but one of infantry line versus infantry line, with the cavalry generally used for scouting duties until the infantry arrived.



It also has some horse handlers and all for the dismounted cavalry, and some officers.

The second bag is the main thing: rank upon rank of infantry.  Now, I will be building my force aiming at Altar of Freedom, so the 8 stands of infantry standard bearers are going to be the central core.  On a 60 by 40mm base, that means they will be joined by 5 regular infantry stands each, meaning I'll have enough in the army set, and still get a single strip left over, as well as 10 strips of skirmishers to base seperatly for scouts and such.



The third bag contains the zoauves, good for 2 stands, but the one thing I like about them is that there is only a single flagpole on the command strips, not the two as was typical for the Union.  Again, some models in skirmish formation are also included in this set.



The final bag brings the artillery, good for 10 cannons, as well as all the generals and guidons for the force.



It is a nice set for the 40 odd pounds it costs, but unfortunatly for now I will not be expanding on them just yet until the whole brexit affair has settled and it is better known how ,uch surcharge I would be paying on future orders.  Because I do want my 6mm fix in 2021 as well you know ;-)

But for now, I'll have a good selection to start glueing and painting up, as these are once again nice and crisp castings as I have come to expect from Baccus, who is still a top of the line manufacturer for me in this scale!

Now, to build that Union force and give Altar of Freedom a go once my club is allowed to reopen...





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten