woensdag 30 december 2015

The Walking Dead season 1

Backlog?  What backlog???  Okay, so it is rather immense, with a heap of new shows coming out, and old classics I`m rewatching.

But today I finally benched through the first season of The Walking Dead.  Now I must admit, though it is something of a cult classic, I wasn`t to eager about watching it.

Don`t get me wrong, but I`m more of a space sci-fi or high fantasy viewer, so a tale about a zombie apocalypse wasn`t high on my priority list, and so it kept shuffling back and back in favor of other shows.

The tale begins with an opening of a police officer shooting a young girl with heavy disfigurement clean through the head... so what is going on here?  We learn that the officer, Rick Grimes, was in a hospital recovering from being shot in the line of duty when hell breaks out in Atlanta with a zombie infestation (well, zombie is actually never used, they are `walkers`).  He hooks up with other survivors, and finds his old partner, his wife and his son again amongst them.

Eager to look for answers when their camp is overrun by Walkers, they travel to the CDC, but learn that they couldn`t do anything, and that this is a disease of global catastrophe levels.  Humanity is on the brink of extinction and the Walkers are the next thing to roam earth it seems.

I was wrong to have put this off so long, it isn`t bad at all.  It`s even a great drama series, focussing on the survival instincts of humanity and the choice to fight against all odds in the name of hope.

Okay, so season 1 is short, numbering only 6 episodes, but it was an emotional rollercoaster of the heights of the better seasons of Lost, Battlestar Galactica and other drama shows put against a `not regular` background.

I don`t think season 2 will be lingering for a few years before I go to watch it ;-)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten