maandag 24 augustus 2015

Hagen`s Vacations: the Mosel region, Germany

From the past friday until today, I have been away to the Mosel region in Germany with the GF and my parents.  Known for it`s castles and wines, Hagen did accompany me of course.

And I had some "personal must-do`s" for myself on the list, being a toy store in Trier, as well as the toy museum overthere.

Day 1: Fenrienresort Cochem

Our `base of operations` for the weekend was a Roompot bungalow parc that rested atop the mountain near Cochem.  The bungalow was a spacey 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom cottage, excellent for some RnR between the trips in the region.



It is a golf resort park, and the greens literally where placed in the garden.


But of course, one has to start the weekend on a full stomach.  Looks like meat is back on the menu boys!

Day 2: Trier

The first big excursion was Trier, the old city with it`s famous Porta Negri, a remnant from the time of the Romans.

It is also the home to some impressive churches and gorgeous parks.







But it is also home to

2-1 Trier Spielzeugemuseum

Or toy museum.  This was a MUST DO for myself.  Last year (when it ran a bloody Lego Star Wars display) I was 10 minutes late to be allowed in, so this time, I did it first.

The museum encompasses two floors, and houses a lot of awesome toys from the 1890s until now.






































It also has a work in progress Lego display, where they are building on a Lego version of Trier.


I did learn there was a Lego event going on about 100km further away, so we didn`t go there.  I still think that is something the Lego community lacks compared to the wargame or the Magic hobbies: a centralised site that list all events all over the world.

In a bar, I came across this very special urinal decoration.  I think the Smurf had he been there would be takin` a leak for hours.

But I also went to my `target` toy shop, and found a great deal there... for excellent value.  Don`t bother looking there for those anymore, it`s cleared out now ;-)
 

2-2 Trittenheim

On the way back to Cochem, we came across the Trittenheim village where a small street celebration was taking place, so we made a short stop for a snack and wine.


2-3 Bernkastel Kreuss

Next stop here, as there is a restaurant that serves a mean Zwiebelnschitzel (basically pork in a crusty skin, with onions).



Day 3: Cochem

The third day was reserved for local town Cochem itself, home to the mighty Reichsburg.






But also to a classic mustard mill, of which I brought a pot along of the semisharp grain mustard.


Okay, this is YOGHURT, I`m a healthy boy!

3-1 The Reichsburg

Towering over Cochem is this almost 1000 year old castle, which over the ages of course has been renovated and `upgraded` to period needs.

















It houses giants, so beware!

I guess the residents are so gigantic because of the big beers they drink in there

Day 4: Driving back home, to share these pictures with you of course!

One more short holiday to go for this year near the end of September, so until then, enjoy!


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten